Wednesday 14 May 2014

A "Light" Bouquet

Well,

Back to the studio this week. In my previous post,(compiling my photobook) I said that I was almost ready to submit my photobook for printing.

I thought that maybe a couple of images could be replaced, as some were similar and some could have been improved.

I decided to return to the college studio and light paint some flowers.



I took a series 15 images (see above contact sheet) and combined them in Photoshop.

The usual tools for my work were present, a small "Maglight" type torch (2 x AA size), my D7000, 18-200mm lens, wired remote and tripod. My wife's brown fleece for the table cover, vase and of course the flowers, as the extra props.

I decided to use an aperture of f/13 for these images, with a shutter speed of 8 seconds for each shot.

My usual ISO setting of 100 was used for the image quality.

I choses 8 seconds for the shutter speed after a few trial shots at 4 and 6 seconds. The reason for 8 was that at 8 seconds, it allowed me to be not to bright at the foreground and not so dark when lighting the background that it didn't show up.

For anyone trying to light paint and produce these types of image, don't be afraid to experiment. There is no hard and fast rule. 

Just see what works best for you, the amount of light already available (is the room completely dark) and the brightness of the torch will all make a difference to the shots you take.

Here is the completed image.


I used the screen mode for this image, I usually use "lighten" but this is an experimental Photography course, so why not try something different?

I love the way that painting by light and stacking the images brings out the colours of the subject.

I think by having a black background, it makes the colours more vivid.

Painting by light seems to turn a mundane or flat image into something that has a lot more punch.

I do think however that the image could be improved further by having a little more light on the left hand side of the bouquet, just under the purple flower.

As ever, images usually can be improved to some degree.

I think I have one for the book though!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment