Sunday 2 February 2014

Blazing a Trail........

Making the most of the dark nights is important when wanting to get vehicle light trails.

I decided that as part of the painting with light part of the experimental photography course, I had to do vehicle light trails, especially as Andrew Whyte incorporated them into his car images.

I ventured out to several locations (contact sheet below) to try and capture moving vehicle light trails.

Locations included Cwmbran, the M4 and Pontypool.


I took almost 60 images of vehicles in different locations and settled on a couple of images that I liked.

The first image that I felt went well was Light Trails 2_19. An image taken off a bridge over the M4.

I particularly like the light trails from the lorry as it went past, these are on the far right of the image.


Taken with a 15 second shutter speed at ISO 100, f14 and at a focal length of 75mm, I feel that the white balance has worked well as well as the composition.


The second image that I like, probably the most out of this series is Light Trails 2_311

This image was taken from along side my vehicle, looking at the rear of the passing vehicles.


I love how the headlights of my vehicle light up the foreground of the image, showing detail and interest.

The composition works well as the lights of the passing vehicles lead you into the image, again, white balance is fine. The curb also leads you into the centre of the image.

Shot at a shutter speed of 15 seconds at f/8, ISO of 100 and at a focal length of 20mm this image works well, and is probably the best of this sequence of images.

For my next sequence of images, I may try and use Eric Curry's and Andrew Whytes's methods to photograph an image.

Painting with light in whatever guise is actually quite fun and rewarding.

A good project subject and one that will make a good photo book I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment