Tuesday 11 March 2014

A “light” trek up the Blorenge Mountain


Another fine night, so I decided to walk up to the local Trig point on the Blorenge Mountain for another light painting session.

I would have loved to try and do a star trails image too, but there was too much cloud about, when I reached the Trig Point.

Below is the contact sheet that includes the photographs that I used to make up the final image.



As you can see, I have removed a portion of the sky that did have a little of the star trail in, as this I believe offered nothing to the image.

I combined the images using a program called Star stacks this time, as I wanted to use a different piece of software, partly to broaden my knowledge of different types of software and partly to see what difference using this software would make to an image, compared to my normal Photoshop.

The screen grab below is of the software in progress, assembling the photos into a single image.
 

I then imported the single image into Photoshop for some final adjustments.

Below is the final image.


The idea was to try and get some foreground detail into the image by using my Tokina 11-16mm DX lens, coupled to my Nikon D7000.

I quite like the effect of the grass and stones leading up to the trig point in the centre of the image.

I would have liked to improve the image even further by having a clear night and including circles of stars emanating from the top of the Trig Point.

This is for another day (or night)

The image won’t win any awards, but I believe it shows the effect of light painting quite well.

Had this originally not been an attempt to capture star trails as well as painting the Trig Point and surrounding area with light, I believe moving the camera position higher, so that more of the surrounding landscape could be painted, would have further improved the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment