Monday 3 March 2014

Making "Light" work of the Garden

Another dry night tonight, so I decided that there was no time like the present.

I went to my parents house to shoot some garden tools propped up against one of my fathers sheds.

I decided to try and illuminate inside the shed as well as the surrounding area.

Below is the contact sheet of the shots I took.

This image is made up of only 6 out of the 7 shots taken.


Step one was to illuminate the inside of the shed so that the detail inside could be seen.


Step two was to shoot the inside of the door as well as the tree.


Step three was of the tree, floor and ladder.


Step four was the Shed Front.


Step five was of the right hand side of the shed.


Step six was to light the roof of the shed.


All these images were then loaded into Photoshop as individual layers and combined into one image.


The final image was then exported as a jpg.

 

All the photographs used were taken on a Nikon D7000 camera with a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 wide angle lens.

Focal length was set at 16mm and f/11

Each photograph was exposed for 30 seconds using a 125 lumens torch.

I am quite happy with the final result. I think that taking what I have learnt from the two car shoots as well as reading Eric Curry's book has enabled me to make progress.

I could improve the image further though. I think the lighting on the front of the shed could be more even, as well as cleaning the window so that more was visible from outside.

The other shed next to the one I was painting could also have been lit, as the door is open and what is inside could have been included in the image.

Better planning would improve this image further.

I will say that I am thoroughly enjoying painting with light though.


No comments:

Post a Comment