Saturday 22 March 2014

Some "Light" Exercise

Continuing to experiment with different set ups, I decided to try and capture a scene with my daughter on an exercise bike, lit by torch light.

Obviously one of the issues with this type of photograph is keeping still, so that the subject doesn't become blurred.

I took a series of 10 shots, first lighting the subject, then the surrounding area, taking note of Eric Curry's advice from his book, "Painting with Light".


The fist two were not used in the final image as they were of my son originally as the subject, but he couldn't keep still enough and found the whole thing a bit of a giggle....

My daughter then said she would be the subject..

The final image below worked quite well.


I am very pleased with the outcome of this image, it's has I envisioned. The floor area is well lit as is the subject.

I managed to get the foreground and background well lit, and the subject is standing proud of both.

I do think the image could be improved however.

1. The face of the subject is a little blurred and maybe if I had lit the face first as a single exposure, this would have elevated this.

2. I would have liked to see a little more light on the back of the subject, a little rim lighting would have helped removed some of the shadow along the subjects back.

I do like this image though and I will probably include it in my Photo Book.

More practice will only improve my technique.

I will endeavour to keep trying different set ups and locations to help achieve this.

No comments:

Post a Comment